Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What's In a Name?

Have you ever wondered why some prize-winning opportunities are called contests and others are called sweepstakes? Generally, a contest requires some level of achievement or ability, or something that is earned, whereas a sweepstakes win typically just represents the random choosing of an entry. Personally, I rarely enter true contests, either because I don't think I'm good enough to win or because they take too much time and effort, or I don't have the equipment (video entries) or the expertise (cooking/recipes), etc. One time, when I was taking a class on social issues, I needed to write a paper about how the Internet will affect our society in the future, and there was a sweepstakes on the very same subject! Of course I entered! And, sadly, of course I did not win, but I did get an A on the paper. : ) The tip of the day is that there are some contests available that appear to be essay contests or photo contests, but a careful reading of the rules will reveal that they are actually random drawings, so just enter something and you'll have as good a chance as anyone else.

Now, my sweep of the day comes with a "true confession". I saw this sweepstakes on the Heinz Facebook page a long time ago and skipped over it because I'm not too familiar with Chili's and would never be able to write a good "Ode to Awesome". However, after one of my friends has won this TWICE, I'm going to "like" it and maybe win it! Happy Sweeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment